What To Know Before Buying New Carpet in Denver, CO
Home maintenance and remodeling projects can be exciting; after all, they can make a room go from ho-hum to WOW with just a little bit of work.
Yet in most cases, each project we take on isn’t something we do every week (or even every year in most cases). We head out shopping for a few upgrades, and quickly become overwhelmed with all the choices presented before us.
And some projects are bigger and more costly than others, making it equally difficult to settle in on a final choice, not wanting to make the wrong decision and having to live with it for years.
Choosing carpeting falls into this category. Buying carpet can be quite confusing and it takes quite a bit of time to learn all about the choices out there, and deciding on which is the best for you.
Here’s a quick checklist to help you make your final selection.
Before you buy new carpet:
- Fully research different types of carpeting to select the one best for your lifestyle
- Want to stay with natural fibers? Today’s carpets offer you many options, including green options
- Spend time thinking about the right color and comparing your options
- Paint the walls a few weeks before. This will give the paint plenty of time to dry and cure before the carpeting is installed.
During the carpet buying process:
- Shop for the best carpet for your needs; work with a flooring consultant to help you narrow down your choices
- Take several carpet samples home and view them in your rooms at different times of the day to get a good feel for how it will look
- Fully measure your room and take into account where seams will have to go
- Choose a performance based carpeting that best fits the requirements of your home, traffic and family
- Take your time in choosing. Don’t be pressured to purchase the first selection you like. Compare types, styles and colors until you are confident with your choice.
- Spend time comparing padding and select the right carpet pad for your room
- Learn all you can about the company you will be doing business about – its more than just the carpeting you choose. Do they have a good reputation throughout the area? Have they been in business for awhile? Are they bonded and have liability insurance?
On Installation day:
- Make sure your home is fully prepared for installation in every room that will be getting new carpet
- Have all furniture moved, if possible. Have nick knacks removed and stored for safety.
- Make sure kids and pets are out of all areas and will remain out of the way throughout the process.
- Make sure all rooms are pre-heated at 70 degrees for at least three hours before installation.
- After the installation is complete, walk around and inspect the job. Make sure all questions are answered before he or she leaves.
- Get warranty information before making the final payment. Don’t pay until you are fully satisfied.