If you have to walk into your bedroom one more time with that faded, stained, out-of-date carpet, you’ll scream …
Have you been saying that for years? We understand. Many homeowners confess that as they shop for new carpet for a bedroom.
When your living space or kitchen needs new flooring, you act faster. But a bedroom? You’re one of few who see it. What’s the rush?
Consider this: Your bedroom is your sanctuary. It’s a safe place you can be yourself, get comfortable, relax, and really feel at home.
Why shouldn’t your bedroom look its best?
Knowing it and doing it are two different things. Where do you start when choosing the perfect carpet for your bedroom? Use these steps to find the perfect carpet for your home.
Measure Your Room
Start by measuring the dimensions of your bedroom, including the length and width. This will help you determine how much carpet you need. Don’t forget to account for nooks, closets, and other areas that need carpet too. Don’t worry, you don’t have to be exact. Our installers will ensure they have the right dimensions. But this will give you a better idea while you shop.
Consider Your Budget
Determine your budget for the carpet and installation. It’s easy to see a price in a big box store or in an ad that comes to your home and assumes you can get carpet for one low price. Be aware that replacing carpet involves the carpet itself, padding, and work needed with the subfloor, and the labor costs for installation. Factor this into your budget when starting the process of looking for new carpet.
Choose the Right Material
There are all kinds of carpet materials to suit your needs. What works for one homeowner might not be best for you. You can do a little research to find what suits you. Typically, you’ll find:
- Wool Carpet – Wool is a natural and luxurious carpet material known for its softness, durability, and resilience. It has excellent stain resistance and is naturally flame-retardant. Wool carpets are often more expensive than synthetic options, but they offer a timeless, elegant look and are a popular choice for bedrooms and formal living spaces.
- Nylon Carpet – Nylon is one of the most popular synthetic carpet materials due to its durability and resilience. It is highly resistant to wear, stains, and crushing, making it a great choice for high-traffic areas. Nylon carpets are available in a wide range of colors and styles, and they are often more affordable than wool.
- Polyester Carpet – Polyester carpets are known for their soft, luxurious feel and vibrant color options. They are also stain-resistant and have good resistance to fading. However, they may not be as durable as nylon or wool and are better suited for low to moderate-traffic areas. Polyester carpets can be an excellent choice for bedrooms due to their plush texture.
- Olefin (Polypropylene) Carpet – Olefin, or polypropylene, is a synthetic carpet material highly resistant to moisture, making it a good choice for areas prone to spills. It is also affordable and offers good stain resistance. However, it may not be as soft or durable as nylon or wool, so it’s often used in budget-conscious or outdoor applications.
Think About Pile Height
Pile height refers to the thickness of the carpet fibers. Pile height significantly influences the look and feel of a room. Different pile heights create different visual effects. Here are some examples:
- Low-Pile – Shorter pile heights (e.g., Berber) give a cleaner, more formal look to a room. They work well in contemporary or high-traffic areas.
- Medium-Pile – These carpets strike a balance between comfort and a polished appearance. They are versatile and can suit various room styles.
- High-Pile – Longer pile heights, such as shag or frieze, provide a plush, cozy, and informal ambiance. They are ideal for bedrooms or areas where comfort is a priority.
Of course, it’s ultimately about the look you’re trying to create. What suits your tastes? Always select carpet based on your personality and needs.
Select the Color and Pattern
Here’s where you can go wild. Choose a color and pattern that complements your bedroom’s décor and personal style. Lighter colors can make a room feel more spacious, while darker colors can create a cozy ambiance. Carpet excels over any other type of flooring. If you have a specific color in mind, you’ll find it with carpet. And since your bedroom is your oasis, don’t worry about going a little darker, lighter, or brighter. It’s a great place to allow your true personality to shine.
Think about how much time and effort you’re willing to invest in carpet maintenance. This may adjust what color you choose, or could influence the material you select. Some materials are more stain-resistant and easier to clean than others. In general, a high-quality vacuum should do the trick. Have it cleaned periodically to ensure your carpet gives you the longest lifespan possible.
Test for Softness
This is what attracts most people to a particular carpet. Feel the carpet samples with your bare feet to assess their softness and comfort. Comfort is essential for a bedroom carpet.
Check for Allergies
If you have allergies, consider a carpet with hypoallergenic properties. Some carpets are designed to resist allergens and are a better choice for those with sensitivities.
Assess Traffic and Durability
Consider the amount of foot traffic your bedroom receives. A more durable carpet is suitable for high-traffic areas, while a less durable one may suffice in a low-traffic bedroom. Kids’ bedrooms will require different characteristics than a master suite. If you have a question, one of our flooring consultants can provide you with guidance.
Request carpet samples from stores or manufacturers to see how they look in your bedroom’s lighting and against your existing decor. You should never invest in a carpet without seeing it in place for a few days. Look at it in the morning and at night. Look at natural lighting and at night with the lights down low. This is the only way to ensure you like your carpet 24 hours a day.
Ask About Installation
Professional installation is typically recommended for the best results. Ask questions if you have any concerns. Professional installation will ensure longevity, and your carpet continues to look good and be well maintained for the life of your carpet.
Read Reviews and Seek Recommendations
This is where a conversation with friends and family can help. Find out what’s on their bedroom floors and ask how well they like it. Feedback can provide valuable insights into the quality and longevity of a particular carpet, or give you design ideas you may never have thought about before.
Ready for carpet in your bedroom? We’re here to help. Stop by today and see our complete selection. You’ll find one perfect for your home.